Saturday 10 July 2010

may be watch...

As I said last night there was 'loads of good music around at the moment and that many names came to my mind', someone instantly asked about these names. He or she forgot that gems need hard digging and that I'm a strong advocate of individual taste but... Here are a few things that have 'rocked my world' recently. I should say 'electronic world' as I'll stick to electronic music for this first list...

These are from the top of my head and should not be taken too seriously. Same, this list is not exhaustive. More lists will come... One last thing: the obvious flaw from that type of thing is 'plugging'.I've tried to avoid that as much as possible.


10 CONTEMPORARY ELECTRONIC THINGS WORTH CHECKING OUT ?
(IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)



THE
NEW 'TURBO/TIGA'...

I did musically part ways with my dearest friend at some point but the 'headbanging' phase seems nearly/truly over. Tiga played a great 125 bpm deep acid set at Stereo before myself a couple of weeks ago, his new remixes of both Jamie Lidell (funk funk funk!) and LCD (amazing slow burning acid song!) blew my head off, the label is getting better and better (or I like it more and more)... Not to forget Thomas Von Party's DJing that deserve an independent recognition from its brother's. You never went away guys, but nice to have you back.

ANTHONY ROTHER's REMIX OF AUX 88's 'VOICE MODULATION' (ECHOISM REC)

This was going to be an obvious hit for me. But I was quite surprised by the amazing reaction from the crowds. The return of....

MARGOT

Now part of the Border Community stable (one of the very few constant 'quality tag' I know), the next generation of dancefloor electronica. Them being from...yes... Rimini only makes the whole thing stronger.

NIEDERFLUR

I agree with Richie Hawtin here... True minimalism, meaning with large ideas and a massive sense of funk. An electronic antidote to bongos and all...

THE NEW 'E-FUNK'?

Generic name (also a mix by Soul Clap but totally different subject) but great music. Following the steps of Wolf & Lamb/Soul Clap, there is a lot of great late night funky house (yes, funky house) around at the moment. Check Whim-ee/Lullabad, Hot Natured, Dyed Soundorom's 'late call' rx of Frank Roger, Earl and Sam... A good alternative to the dull side of (not so) nu-disco.

NAKION

Talking of 'nu-disco', this is the top of the shelf, the real deal. fave ? 'Arcadia" on Dischi Bellichi and his 12" on Supersoul (great remix from Xav). Nakion is a young lady From Korea making me wonder about the scene over there.

DOCTOR VINYL

One of the best record shop in Europe (in Brussels-Where did you think Geoffroy was getting all these gems?), now a label, Metaphone Records. Proper wonky music, the true spirit of Boccaccio revived... Fave? hmmmm... Probably DC Sala's 'Peru'.

MISS FITZ's FORTHCOMING STUFF?

Awaiting to hear the material for her forthcoming Freak n' Chic album but Dyed Soundorom played last week a track that made my night. Slow trippy techno. Also check Dan Ghenacia's new track on Crosstown Rebels, for me, his best from far.

BEACHCOMA RECORDINGS

Always been a Pan/Tone (been playing 'Tomorrow never knew' again) and Metope fan so... the first release, 'From Druida' probably was my track of 2009. Three very strong release for now. We need more labels like this one.

TIM PARIS ' RECENT SET AT ROBERT JOHNSON...

... And what followed...I said something about 'plugging' earlier but this has nothing to do with it. I obviously play with the guy a lot but he is like a new him. He dropped Traktor, is confident and played one of the best set I've heard in ages. Tunes that have been big for me recently (like Jamie Principle's 'The call' or these Fly-o-Tek and Shytone records), well, guess where they're coming from... Now you promoters around, need to understand that, in this present case, YOU DO NOT NEED ME!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. evaporator from jake fairley is so good. im going to check this one on beachcoma. thx !
    sinon nice soirée mercredi. keep up !

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... (Tim Paris) dropped Traktor...".

    Just curious, what's wrong with Traktor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quality Blog Ivan.

    Loving the Tiga Planet Turbo Mix but loving your 3 hours more, some quality tracks.

    When's your next Graveyard shift @ Fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanx for the nice words, this keeps us goin' ;)) Boccaccio spirit forever ;) Doc V

    ReplyDelete
  5. merci pour le soutien !

    Très belle surprise :)

    DC Salas

    ReplyDelete